Vegetable stew recipe: It is a popular vegetable-based curry from Kerala also known as Istu. It is a combination of thick and diluted veg creamy curry prepared with coconut milk and dry spices. It is usually served with flaky Malabar Parota or Appam but is also popularly served with Idiyappam and Ghee Rice.
The cuisine of Kerala is famous for its coastal and seafood dishes which are mainly prepared with coconut flavoring. The dishes are usually prepared with freshly grated coconut masala or coconut milk. This is a popular creamy Kerala-style curry vegetable stew with a choice of vegetables.
I am a big fan of the Malabar Parota and Veg Kurma combination. It is one of the popular snacks in the Udupi and Mangalore region. The reason to highlight this is that veg kurma is very similar to the veg stew recipe and I can see that the main difference is the use of coconut masala vs coconut milk. In other words, kurma is made with freshly grated green coconut masala along with coriander, chilies, and dry spices. Whereas, in the vegetable stew recipe, coconut milk is poured over the curry. It makes the curry more creamy and is the main reason why I prefer the kurma recipe over the stew recipe. But this is my personal preference and many people prefer the creamy way, especially in Kerala.
Healthy veg stew recipe
furthermore, I would like to add some tips and advice to this creamy vegetable stew recipe. Firstly, coconut milk can be prepared fresh at home by blending coconut or you can use store-bought cream of coconut. I have used store-bought coconut cream and I have added water to make it less creamy. Second, you can use it as per your choice of vegetables. You can add broccoli, peas, tindora, yams, and beets. Lastly, some prefer red-colored veg stew, so you can saute the vegetables by adding turmeric and chili powder. If you are adding red chili powder then make sure to omit the green chilies.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
- How many people: 3 servings
- Course: Curry
- Cuisine: Kerala
- Keywords: Vegetable Stew Recipes
Here are some delicious recipes:
- Paneer stuffed bhatura recipe
- Raw banana cutlets
- Crown fried chicken recipe
- Kaju katli recipe
- Biryani gravy recipe
- Schezwan fried rice recipe
- Bread upma recipe
- 3 – Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Health tips to get fit: Fitness tips
Ingredients need to make vegetable stew recipe
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves / cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 pods cardamom
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 5 beans (chopped)
- ½ carrot (chopped)
- ½ potato (cubed)
- 3 tbsp peas
- 10 florets cauliflower/gobi
- 2 green chilies (slits)
- 1 inch ginger (julienne)
- 1 cup water
- One tsp salt
- 2 cups coconut milk (diluted)
- some curry leaves
- ¼ cup coconut milk (thickened)
Method of making vegetable stew recipe
- Firstly, in a large kadhai heat ½ tbsp coconut oil and saute 2 cloves, 1-inch cinnamon, and 2 pods cardamom.
- Furthermore, add ½ onion and saute till they shrink slightly.
- Also add 5 beans, ½ carrot, ½ potato, 3 tbsp peas, 10 florets cauliflower, 2 green chilies, and 1-inch ginger.
- Furthermore, add 1 cup water, 1 tsp salt, and some curry leaves also. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are half cooked.
- Now add 2 cups coconut milk (thin consistency) and mix well.
- Cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are fully cooked.
- Switch off the flame and add some curry leaves, ¼ cup condensed coconut milk, and 1 tsp coconut oil. Mix well.
- Finally, serve Kerala-style vegetable stew with idiyappam or appam.