Medu vada recipe (vada recipe Kerala) – Crispy, fluffy and delicious vada that goes best with coconut chutney or sambar. These urad dal vadas are also known as Garelu in Andhra, Uzhunnu Vada in Kerala, and Medhu Vadai in Tamil Nadu.
These donuts fritters are made with black gram, herbs, coconut, and spices. Or the main ingredient is urad dal (gram black) but herbs and spices can be different. You can also add vegetables such as onions or grated carrots or grated beetroot.
Medu vada is one of my favorite snacks. It’s one of those little things that I loved as a child and still does. I like our crispy and fluffy vada stuffed with hot sambar and coconut chutney on the side.
The combo of vada sambar and coconut chutney is very popular and very tasty. You can enjoy them with any variety of sambar.
Whenever we went to any restaurant in Udupi or Kerala in Mumbai, I would order a vada sambar or Masala dosa. these two were always on my top list of South Indian snacks.
I love all South Indian snacks and come back with mom and dad, I have a great time eating my favorite South Indian breakfast like dosa, Rava dosa, Appam, and my favorite of these is urad dal vada.
Mom did this with brunch and I took pictures with pleasure. We had medu vada and sambar and coconut chutney.
Medhu Vadai is one of the easiest meals to make. If you have sambar leftover and do not know what to do… Just make Medu vada… Immerse yourself in sambar and enjoy…
If there is no sambar, you can have Medu vada with coconut chutney or mint coriander chutney, or tomato sauce. You can use any dip you choose… Either a tahini dip or another cheese dip would be great.
- Cuisine: South Indian
- Course: Breakfast, Breakfast
Here are some delicious recipes:
Health tips to get fit: Fitness tips
Medu vada recipe (vada recipe Kerala)
Ingredients need to make medu vada recipe (vada recipe Kerala)
Instructions to make Medu vada recipe (vada recipe Kerala)
- Making Medu Vada Batter: Apply urad dal for 4 hours or overnight.
- Grind dal soaked in smooth batter with a little water if necessary.
- When the batter becomes wet, a quick relief would be to add some semolina or urad dal flour to it. Alternatively, you can also add some semolina to the batter.
- Add spices, herbs, onions, and salt. Mix well.
- Take a bowl of water. Put the water in a bowl with both hands. take the beating with your right hand in the bowl. Give it a round shape.
- With your thumb make a hole in the middle. You can also use banana leaves or zip lock pockets to give the medu vada its donor shape.
- Making Medu Vada (vada recipe Kerala): In cardboard heat oil. Keep the flame in the middle.
- When the oil is hot, add the vada to the hot oil.
- When the vada is already slightly golden then turn gently with a spoonful of the pieces and continue frying.
- Fry them until they are crisp and golden. The oil should not be too hot, but moderately hot. He wants vadas cooked inside. Extremely hot oil will quickly brown the vadas from the outside but will remain uncooked inside. A little hot oil will make the medu vada absorb too much oil. Although the batter is low the medu vadas will absorb more oil.
- Fry all medu vada in this way until evenly brown and finely chopped.
- Lubricate the kitchen sink to remove excess oil.
- Serve medhu vadai, hot or warm with sambar and coconut chutney.
- When making medu vada fasting, do not add onions.