Palak kofta curry recipe: A simple and healthy Spinach-based North Indian Cuisine Gravy recipe prepared with Spinach and Paneer Balls. this recipe has a strong similarity with the popular Punjabi dish malai kofta recipe with the same gravy but with different ingredients for kofta balls. It is a healthy curry that can be eaten with roti, chapati, or cumin rice.
There are many kofta curry recipes and can probably be prepared with almost every vegetable. Palak Kofta Curry is one such recipe in which spinach puree is mixed with paneer and boiled/mashed potatoes. Apart from the wonderful taste, Palak Kofta Curry is a healthy alternative to the traditional Kofta Curry.
The recipe I have shown here is a simple and basic palak kofta recipe, but there are so many variations to this classic recipe. In this recipe, I have prepared spinach puree separately and added grated paneer and boiled potatoes to it.
These are later shaped into balls and deep-fried until crispy before being used in creamy gravy. Another easy method is to finely chop the spinach leaves, fry them with onions and then mix it with the paneer and potato mixture. There is definitely an easier way but I personally don’t like it as the spinach doesn’t mix perfectly with the kofta mixture. Apart from this, the gravy can also be enhanced by adding spinach puree to the gravy similar to Palak Paneer or any spinach-based curry.
Some tips, recommendations, and variations for this classic north Indian curry palak kofta recipe.
Firstly, as a variation for this curry, you can prepare a green curry from spinach in place of the plain onion and tomato-based curry. I personally prefer red curry and not green curry but it is completely optional.
Second, I have deep fried the spinach koftas before adding them to the curry. But as an alternative, you can pan-fry them or even pan-fry them for a healthier option.
Lastly, I would recommend adding the kofta when you are about to serve. This ensures the kofta’s to be fresh and crisp.
- Preparation Time:15 MINUTES
- Cook Time:30 MINUTES
- TOTAL TIME:45 MINUTES
- How many people: 4 servings
- Course: Curry
- Cuisine: North Indian
- Keyword: Spinach Kofta Recipe
Ingredients need to make palak kofta curry recipe
For the Kofta:
- 3 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp onion (chopped)
- 1-inch ginger
- 1 green chili
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch Spinach / Spinach leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup Paneer / Cottage Cheese (grated)
- ½ cup potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- ¼ cup besan (roasted)
- 5 cashew nuts (chopped)
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cornflour (for rolling)
- Oil (for frying)
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bay leaf/bay leaf
- 2 tsp kasoori methi
- ½ tsp saunf
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 cups tomato pulp
- ¼ cup cashew paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasoori methi (crushed)
Here are some delicious recipes:
- Sweet kheer Kadam recipe at home
- A healthy vegetable stew recipe
- Orange Sandesh recipe
- Shahi paneer kheer recipe
- Choco chip banana cake recipe
- Rajbhog recipe as like a sweet shop
- Poha cutlets recipe
- A delicious honey cauliflower recipe at home
- Bengali sweet patishapta recipe
- Crispy fried vegetable recipe
A health tip: 7 best things to have for a healthy breakfast
Method of making palak kofta curry
Preparation of palak kofta:
- firstly, in a large Kadai heat 3 tsp oil and add 2 tbsp onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1-inch ginger, and 1 green chili and fry.
- Also fry 1 bunch of chopped spinach, till it shrinks and changes color.
- Cool completely and transfer to a blender.
- Make a smooth paste by adding water as required.
- Transfer the blended spinach puree into a large mixing bowl.
- Also add 1 cup paneer, cup potato, cup gram flour.
- additionally add 5 cashews, tsp garam masala, and tsp salt.
- Knead dough by mixing well. If there is excess moisture then add breadcrumbs and knead the dough.
- Pinch the dough into a small ball size and form a round ball without any cracks.
- Roll them in cornflour for an extra crispy outer covering.
- Fry in hot oil or bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, and fry on medium heat.
- Fry the koftas until they are golden and crisp. Remove the spinach kofta and keep it aside.
Preparation of Curry:
- Now heat 3 tsp oil in a large pan and add 1 tsp cumin, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp kasoori methi, and tsp fennel and fry.
- Furthermore, fry 1 onion till it turns golden brown.
- Additionally, add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute well.
- Further add tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, and 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
- Fry the spices on low flame till fragrant.
- Now add 2 cups tomato pulp and mix well. To prepare tomato pulp, blend 3 large tomatoes into a smooth puree without adding water.
- Cover and cook till the oil separates from the edges.
- Now add cup cashew paste, 1 tsp salt, and cook it well. To prepare cashew paste, soak 10 cashews in a cup of warm water and blend until smooth.
- Furthermore, add 1 cup of water and adjust the consistency.
- Add the prepared kofta balls to it and mix gently.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or till the kofta masala is absorbed.
- Furthermore, add tsp garam masala and 1 tsp kasoori methi. Mix well.
- Finally, serve palak kofta curry with chapati or roti.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..