Medu vada recipe – Crispy, fluffy and delicious vada that goes best with coconut chutney or sambar. These urad dal vadas are also known as Garelu in Andhra, Uzhunnu Vada in Kerala, and Medhu Vadai in Tamil Nadu.
These donuts fritters are made with black gram, herbs, coconut and spices. Or the main ingredient is urad dal (gram black) but herbs and spices can be different. You can also add vegetables such as onions or grated carrots or grated beetroot.
Medu vada is one of my favorite snacks. It’s one of those little things that I loved as a child and still do. I really like our crispy and fluffy vada stuffed with hot sambar and coconut chutney on the side.
The combo of vada sambar and coconut chutney is very popular and very tasty. You can enjoy them with any variety of sambar.
Medu vada recipe
Whenever we went to any restaurant in Udupi or Kerala in Mumbai, I would order a vada sambar or Masala dosa. these two were always on my top list of South Indian snacks.
I love all South Indian snacks and come back with mom and dad, I have a great time eating my favorite South Indian breakfast like dosa, Rava dosa, Appam and my favorite of these urad dal vada.
Mom did this with brunch and I took pictures with pleasure. We had medu vada and sambar and coconut chutney.
Medhu Vadai is one of the easiest meals to make. If you have sambar left over and do not know what to do… Just make Medu vada… Immerse yourself in sambar and enjoy…
If there is no sambar, you can have Medu vada with coconut chutney or mint coriander chutney or tomato sauce. You can use any dip you choose… Either a tahini dip or another cheese dip would be great.
Here are some delicious veg recipes:
- Easy to make veg Frankie recipe
- Delicious vegetable uthappam recipe
- Soojie snacks recipe
- Vegetable chop recipe
- Homemade veg Hakka noodles recipe
- Veg Mughlai paratha recipe
- Spring roll recipe
A health tip: 7 best things to have for a healthy breakfast
Medu vada recipe easy to make at home
Ingredients need to make Medu vada
- 2 cups urad dal husked & split gram
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper whole or crushed (optional)
- 1 or 2 sprig curry leaves chopped
- 1 medium chopped onion (optional)
- 1 or 2 green chilies chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- Pieces cups of chopped coconut of your choice
- Few sprigs of coriander leaves chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Deep frying oil
- More water if needed to grind the batter
Making Medu Vada Batter
- Apply urad dal for 4 hours or overnight.
- Grind dal soaked in smooth batter with a little water if necessary.
- When the batter becomes wet, a quick relief would be to add some semolina or urad dal flour to it. Alternatively, you can also add some semolina to the batter.
- Add spices, herbs, onions, and salt. Mix well.
- Take a bowl of water. Put the water in a bowl with both hands. take the beating with your right hand in the bowl. Give it a round shape.
- With your thumb make a hole in the middle. You can also use banana leaves or zip lock pockets to give the medu vada its donor shape.
Making Medu Vada
- In cardboard heat oil. Keep the flame in the middle.
- When the oil is hot, add the vada to the hot oil.
- When the vada is already slightly golden then turn gently with a spoonful of the pieces and continue frying.
- Fry them until they are crisp and golden.
- The oil should not be too hot, but moderately hot. He wants vadas cooked inside.
- Extremely hot oil will quickly brown the vadas from the outside but will remain uncooked inside.
- A little hot oil will make the medu vada absorb too much oil.
- Although the batter is low the medu vadas will absorb more oil.
- Fry all medu vada in this way until evenly brown and finely chopped.
- Lubricate the kitchen sink to remove excess oil.
- Serve medu vada, hot or warm with sambar and coconut chutney.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..