Veg Frankie recipe: Popular street food of India originated from the streets of Kolkata. Different names are also known, such as chopped rolls, Frankie food, Frankie recipe, or vegetable Frankie recipe. Originally spicy vegetables are wrapped in chapatti or wrap bread or with tomato sauce and green chutney added to enhance the flavor.
Traditionally Frankie dishes were known as Kathi kebabs, usually prepared in lair parathas. However, many variations of Frankie’s cuisine have evolved these days, especially in the form of street food.
I have already shared the Paneer Frankie recipe in which I added grated paneer along with other vegetables. I also used leftover chapati for the paneer Kathi rolls. However, in this recipe, I use multi-grain wrap which makes it healthier than all-purpose flour rolls.
I have also added grated paneer to this recipe, but most of it is mashed potatoes and capsicum. In addition, other vegetables such as green peas, carrots, and even mushrooms can be added. But I have kept it simple with just potatoes and capsicum.
Also, some important tips and suggestions for an ideal wedge Frankie recipe.
First, if there is more moisture in boiled and mashed potatoes, add breadcrumbs to absorb it. Add breadcrumbs only if you are not able to make the fried vegetables in a cylindrical shape.
Secondly, I have used multigrain wraps in this recipe. But leftover chapati, roti, and even parathas can be used.
Finally, if you prefer a spicy vegetarian Frankie, you can top the Szewan sauce with tomato sauce on top of the bread/wrap/paratha.
Mumbai’s Wedge Frankie is now so famous that you can find Frankie stalls all over the country – on parks and beaches, on the street, and in the food court.
A satisfying snack, which can be seen everywhere, is made by rolling the potato mixture inside a bread wrapper to the wedge Frankie.
Veg Frankie is one of the most famous street food items in Mumbai and it is a very tasty experience to prepare Frankie Walla cleverly.
The loaves are made in advance, but the veg is cooked again with butter before making Frankie. It is not just the spiced potato mixture that makes Frankie so delicious, but also the onion and crunchy spice water.
Delicious frankie recipe
Every ingredient – from butter-baked loaves to tangy water, crunchy onions, and Frankie masala – contributes to the taste of Mumbai Street food’s wedge.
I would like to make some suggestions to make the perfect Veg Frankie recipe 1. Potato mash or mash the potatoes well with your hands, before you put them in a non-stick pan. 2. It is advisable to use lightly cooked rotis with golden brown spots. Overcooked loaves will taste bad. 3. Wrap a tissue paper or aluminum foil around Frankie to seal it.
Follow this authentic Wedge Frankie recipe to make Wedge Frankie in your own kitchen. There are many more versions of this versatile and easy snack, including the Jain, Szechwan, and Cheese versions.
Here are some delicious recipes:
Veg Frankie Recipe
- Preparation Time: 10 MINUTES
- Cooking Time: 15 MINUTES
- Total Time: 25 MINUTES
- For how many people: 3 servings
- Course: Snacks
- Cooking: Street Food
- Keyword: wedge Frankie recipe
Ingredients need to make Veg Frankie Recipe
For Potato Stuffing:
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, boiled
- ¾ cup cheese, sliced
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 chapattis or raps
- 6 tsp tomato sauce
- ½ cup lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp green chutney
Method of Veg Frankie Recipe
Potato Stuffing Recipe:
- First, fry the capsicum in a large Kadai with a little oil for 2-3 minutes.
- In addition, add boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Add the crumbled cheese as well. Adding cheese is optional, however, enhances the taste.
- Add chili powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala and salt.
- Mix well and make sure the spices are well mixed with the potatoes.
- If large pieces of potato are also present, then mash.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Afterward, apply cylindrical-shaped sticks by applying oil on the hands. Stuffing does not stick to the hands by applying oil. Keep aside.
How to fold a Frankie or Kathi roll:
- First, apply butter to the griddle.
- And fry the remaining chapattis or raps till they are hot.
- Apply butter or both sides of the chapati or raps and fry it.
- Now place the roasted chapattis or raps on a flat surface.
- Spread tomato sauce in generous amounts.
- Place lettuce (lettuce), carrots, and onions in the center of the chapati.
- Also, place the potato-prepared cylindrical stuffing in the center.
- And add green chutney.
- Now fold down.
- Gradually, bend both sides one after the other.
- In addition, hold tight to prevent the opening of the passage.
- Place the prepared Frankie only on an aluminum foil or butter paper on the bottom half.
- Fold under the foil.
- And roll the side sheet, covering Frankie.
- Finally, the wedge is ready to be served with Frankie or Kathi roll tomato sauce.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..