Tomato Rasam recipe: This is another type of rasam, often served in South Indian cuisine, with steamed rice at noon or dinner. Tomato Rasam is pungent and hot, as well as sour due to tomato. It is known as Charu in Tamil Nadu and Thakkali Rasam in Kerala. Like paper rasam, tomato rasam is very easy to make at home and is made with ingredients like tomato, black pepper, garlic, cumin, and some basic Indian spices.
Tomato rasam can be made using pre-made rasam powder or fresh spices made from garlic, black pepper, and cumin. In this recipe, tomato rasam is made by following another method to get the right taste and sharpness.
Method of preparation of Tomato Rasam recipe
- Pre-Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- For how many people: 3
Also try these delicious recipes:
Ingredients need to make Tomato Rasam recipe
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 black peppercorns or 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 4-5 small or 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 tsp rye
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili, in two pieces and seedless (or green chili)
- 3-4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (*)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
Nondh: To increase the taste of tomato rasam, use green coriander with spices. Rasam tastes good from Dandi.
Method of making Tomato Rasam recipe
- Cut 2-tomatoes into big tukdo and 2-tomatoes into small tukdo.
- Add cumin, black pepper, and garlic to a small jar of the mixer.
- Grind them until they are medium coarse paste. Take it out in a small bowl. You can also use Okhli and Muesli in place of the mixer grinder to make a paste.
- Add chopped tomatoes (chopped into 2-tomatoes in big tokens) to the same jar of grinder and grind them until they become soft puree.
- Heat oil in a pan/pan on medium heat. Add mustard seeds to it; When they start bursting, add asafoetida, dry red chili, and curry leaves.
- Add cumin-pepper-garlic paste (made in step-3).
- Fry it for 1 minute.
- Add tomato puree to it. Mix it well and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander to it.
- Add red chili powder and salt to it. Mix it well and cook for 1 minute. Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1¼ cup of water to it.
- Mix it well and keep it on medium heat to boil. When it starts boiling then reduce the flame and cook for 4-5 minutes till it starts to form froth.
- Add finely chopped green coriander to it.
- Stir the gas and drain it in a bowl. Serve it with boiled rice.
Suggestions and Variations for making Tomato Rasam recipe
- For a change, add 1/2 cup boiled arhar dal (tur dal) to tomato rasam in step-11.
- If tomatoes are not sour, add tamarind juice in step-12. To make tamarind juice, soak 1 tsp tamarind in 1-2 tablespoons of hot water for 5-10 minutes, after soaking, mash it, add tamarind juice, sieve tamarind juice, and discard the fibrous residue.
- To make it spicier, add 1 tsp rasam powder in step-12.
Taste: Hot, Tart, and Sour
Methods to serve: Serve tomato rasam with boiled rice, fried papad, and the same at lunch or dinner.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..