Idli batter recipe | Idli dosa batter in mixi recipe at home
Idli batter recipe: A two-in-one South Indian Idli and Dosa Batter recipe for dosa filled with soft idlis and pores that can also be extended to paddoo or guliappa recipe. Originally the Idli Dosa batter is prepared using a mixer grinder compared to the traditional wet grinder and yields soft and spongy idli and dosa for breakfast.
Usually, the batter of dosa and idli is prepared separately, but it solves the batter problem and serves for both. Idli dosa batter recipe is prepared with idli rice, which can be used to prepare idli with soft and spongy dosa.
Being a South Indian, Dosa and Idli are very common in our family for our daily breakfast. My husband is particularly a big fan of idli and dosa and according to him there is no other breakfast recipe that is as healthy and tasty as these. Basically both the dishes are prepared using unheated steam without much spices and oil content.
However, preparing separate idli and dosa is a big challenge for me. So I prepare Idli Dosa Batter which has a 3: 1 Idli Rice and Urad Dal ratio which makes it easy to use for both. I also tried to prepare a crisp and thin dosa with it but to no avail. It is always better to prepare thick and soft dosa like dosa or sponge dosa.
Also, some important tips and suggestions for an ideal and idli dosa batter recipe in a mixer grinder. First, prepare the idli batter in batches in a mixer grinder and do not overload the mixie. Also, grind the rice and urad dal separately and then mix it in a bowl. Secondly, after fermenting the batter, remove only the required amount of batter.
Recipe Card for Idli Dosa Batter
- Preparation Time: 12 HOURS
- Cooking Time: 30 MINUTES
- Total Time: 12 HOURS 30 MINUTES
- For how many people: 20 idlis and 12 dosa
- Course: Breakfast
- Cooking: South Indian
- Keyword: idli batter recipe
Necessary ingredients need to make idli batter recipe
- 3 cups idli rice
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup urad dal
- Water to soak
- Oil, to roast the dosa and to grease the idli plate
Method of making idli batter recipe
- First, soak 3 cups of idli rice and ½ tsp fenugreek for 6 hours.
- Soak 1 cup of urad dal in another bowl for 4 hours.
- Do not soak urad dal, as they loosen the hairy texture.
- After filtering the water, blend the rice in batches to a smooth paste.
- Transfer rice batter to a large bowl.
- Next, drain the water from the urad dal and blend it into a smooth paste.
- Transfer batter to the same bowl.
- Mix well Make sure everything is well combined.
- Now keep in a warm place for 8-10 hours or until the batter is fermented and doubled.
- After 8 hours, the batter is indicated to be doubly well fermented, with air pockets present.
- Mix gently without disturbing the air pockets.
- Scoop the required batter and store the remaining batter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week.
- Add salt to the batter and mix well.
How to make Idli from Idli-Dosa Batter:
- First, scoop the batter into the idli molds greased with oil.
- Place the idli plate in the steamer and steam it for 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
- Finally, the idli is ready to be served with chutney and sambar.
Method of preparation of Dosa from Idli-Dosa Batter:
- First, pour a ladle of batter over the hot griddle.
- Spread gently, making sure the dosa is thick.
- Add one teaspoon of oil as well.
- Cover and cook for a minute or more, until the dosa cooks well in the presence of steam.
- Finally, the dosa is ready to be served with chutney and sambar.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..