Delicious Gujarati methi thepla recipe at home
Methi thepla recipe is a popular Gujarati dish, made from wheat flour, fenugreek leaves, and other spices easily found in the kitchen. In this, ginger-garlic paste has been added for the best taste and turmeric powder for attractive color. It is the perfect breakfast to serve with tea in the morning breakfast or to take along in a long journey. With the help of this recipe, you can easily make theplas at home.
- Pre-Preparation Time: 7 minutes
- Cook time: 23 minutes
- For how many people: 2 (7 Thepla)
Ingredients need to make Methi thepla recipe:
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fenugreek leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon curd
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp oil + for frying
Method of making Methi thepla recipe:
- Take 1 cup wheat flour, finely chopped fenugreek, finely chopped coriander, curd, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, 1 tsp oil, and salt and mix well.
- Add water and knead the soft dough (like bread flour) as needed.
- Grease the surface of the dough with 1-tsp of oil.
- Cover the dough with a clean muslin cloth or with a plate and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes, divide the dough into 7 equal parts and make a circle from each part.
- Take 1/2 cup dry wheat flour on a plate.
- Take a dough ball and press it between the palms to give it the shape of the dough.
- Wrap it with dry wheat flour and keep it on top of the chakla.
- Roll it out into a round shape (like roti or paratha) about 6-7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Place a raw fenugreek spatula over the hot pan.
- When the small bubbles begin to appear on its surface, turn the plate over.
- Spread 1/2 tsp of oil evenly on its surface and cook for 30 seconds.
- Turn it again and spread 1/2 tsp of oil evenly on its surface and cook the other side.
- Press it lightly with a spoon to cook it evenly and cook for 20-30 seconds.
- Turn it over and cook until light golden brown spots appear on both sides.
- Reduce the heat to low or medium according to need.
- Take it out on a plate. Make theplas in the same way as the rest of the flour.
- Theplas are ready. Serve them hot with masala tea or curd.
Suggestions and Variations of making Methi thepla recipe:
- Knead the soft dough to make a soft thepla.
- Thepla is good at room temperature for 2-3 days so it is perfect for picnics and long trips.
- If you want to keep it for more than 2-3 days, then do not put makht methi leaves, green coriander, and garlic while making it, instead, add flour 1/4 tsp parsley.
- To increase the taste of thepla and to keep it softer for longer, apply ghee over the hot thepla.
Taste: Lightly pungent and soft
Methods of serving: In Gujarat, it is known as Methi ka Thepla and is traditionally served either with curd or with sweet mango pickle. However, like any other parantha, it can be served with all kinds of vegetables. It especially sounds best with cumin potatoes and onion raita.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..