Kabuli chana or Chana Masala Recipe makes at home
Kabuli chana or Chana Masala is a delicious Punjabi food vegetable and is popular across India. This spicy vegetable is prepared with white chickpeas (Kabuli chana), tomatoes, onions, and traditional Indian spices and served with bhature (fried Indian bread) in the evening breakfast or dinner.
In this recipe, chana has been boiled with tea powder to give it a dark color and fresh chickpeas masala powder has been used to taste like a restaurant. Follow this step by step recipe and make this delicious curry at your home
Kabuli chana or Chana Masala
- Pre-Preparation Time: 8 hours
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- For how many people: 2
Materials need to make Kabuli chana or chana masala:
- 1/2 cup white gram (Kabuli chana)
- 1 tsp tea powder or tea leaves or (1-2 t beg)
- 2 red ripe tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
For Dried Masala Powder
- A small piece of bay leaf
- 1 large black cardamom
- 1 tsp dried coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 black pepper
- 1 dry red chili
- 2 cloves
- An inch long piece of cinnamon
Method of making Kabuli chana or chana masala
- Soak the white gram overnight or for about 8-10 hours.
- Tie 1 teaspoon of tea in a plain muslin cloth. Bonded tea leaves have been used to give the gram a darker color and enhance its flavor, although you can also use tea bags in place of tea leaves.
- Cook the chana with tied tea, salt, and water in a pressure cooker of 2-3 liter capacity on a medium flame until the 4-5 whistles sound.
- If the pressure cooker is not available then you can also use kadhai to cook chana, but it will take longer.
- Take out the tied tea leaves and sieve more water from the boiled gram in a bowl. Keep the filtered water for further use.
- Fry the bay leaves, large cardamom, dried coriander seeds, cumin, black pepper, dry red chilies, cloves, and cinnamon on low heat for 1 minute. To make dry Punjabi masala powder, grind the roasted spices in a grinder.
- Grind 2 tablespoons of boiled gram until it becomes coarse in the mixer or pinch it with a spoon. Grind two tomatoes in a grinder to make the puree.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onion and fry it till it becomes light brown in color, it will take 1-2 minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato puree and salt (add salt only for tomato puree as we have already added salt at the time of boiling the gram). Cook the puree on a medium flame till the oil starts separating, it will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and dry masala powder (prepared in step-4).
- Mix well and cook for 1-minute.
- Add boiled gram, prepared gram paste, and 1 cup of water (filtered with boiled gram) and mix well.
- Allow the gravy to cook until thick, it will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and take out the chana masala gravy in a bowl. Garnish with finely chopped green coriander and serve hot with bhatura or boiled rice.
Suggestions and Variations:
- If a pressure cooker is not available, you can also use a deep frying pan to cook the gram, but it will take longer.
- You can use ready-made Punjabi Chole Masala Powder (1 tsp) instead of homemade fresh Punjabi Chole Masala Powder in this recipe.
- To make thick or thin gravy, reduce the amount of water in step-10.
- You can use this gravy to make kathol vegetables like moong, Kala chana, rajma.
- You can add onion paste instead of chopped onion.
- If there is not enough time to soak the gram then soak it in warm water for 3-4 hours.
Serving Methods: Serve Spicy Punjabi Chole Masala with Bhatura or Plain Paratha, Onion Tomato Salad, and Masala Papad. It can also be served with boiled rice or cumin rice.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..