Tomato rice recipe – how to make tomato rice at home
Tomato rice recipe – Plain steamed rice is cooked with a spicy mixture made from tomatoes, onions, green coriander, and Indian spices.
This rice is known as Tomato Bath in the southern states of India and it is added dry masala powder which is made from dried coriander seeds, gram dal, and urad dal. In this recipe, you are told how to make tomato rice in both ways (North Indian Tomato Rice and South Indian Tomato Bath).
Tomato Rice Recipe
- Pre-Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- For how many people: 2
Materials need to make Tomato Rice Recipe
- 2½-3 cups boiled rice (cooked plain rice)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder, optional
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
For the powder:
- 1/2 tsp chana dal
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- 2 tablespoons dried coriander seeds
Note: To make rice in the South Indian way, follow steps 1 and 2. While making rice in this manner, usually dry masala powder made from gram dal, urad dal, and dried coriander seeds is added, which is described in Steps 1 and 2. However, if you are making tomato rice in North Indian style then skip step-1 and 2 and start straight from step-3.
Method of making Tomato Rice
- To make masala powder, we have to roast chana dal, dry coriander seeds, and urad dal. It takes longer than other ingredients to fry the chana dal, then first put the chana dal in a small pan and fry for 2 minutes. Put urad dal and coriander seeds in it and fry till the sweet aroma comes together and the lentils turn light brown.
- Remove them to a plate and let cool for a few minutes. Finely grind them in a small jar of the mixer grinder.
- Finely chop tomatoes and onions.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add asafetida and mustard seeds. When the seeds start bursting, add finely chopped onion, curry leaves, and green chilies. Roast the onion until light pink.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt (salt only for tomatoes).
- Roast the tomatoes till they become soft. Add red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix well Add masala powder (prepared in step-2).
- Cook for a minute while stirring with a spoon.
- Add finely chopped coriander and mix well.
- Let it cook for a minute.
- Add cooked rice and salt. If salt is added while cooking rice, do not add salt now.
- Mix well so that all the rice grains are covered with spices. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Tomato rice is ready to be served.
Suggestions and Variations of Tomato Rice Recipe:
- Reduce the amount of red chili powder to make less spicy rice.
- Add green peas and mint leaves to Step-9 for change.
- To keep the rice grains separate (to keep the flowers in bloom), boil the rice a few hours before making the recipe.
- How to make tomato rice in a pressure cooker?
- There is no need to prepare boiled rice in the pressure cooker to make tomato rice.
- Following step-1 to 5, prepare tomato mixture in a pressure cooker of 3 liters capacity.
- Add raw rice (soaked in water for 15 minutes) and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1½ cups of water and salt and mix well.
- Close the lid and let it cook for 2-3 whistles on medium heat.
- Turn off the gas and allow the pressure cooker to finish. Remove the lid and inflate the rice with a fork.
Taste: mildly sour and spicy
Serving methods: Serve tomato casserole with mint raita, potato curry, and papad for lunch or dinner. It can also be packed in a lunchbox with curd and papad.
Firstly I’d like to tell you that I love cooking personally and do experiments with regular recipes. So that I can provide a good tasty and delicious recipe. That you can easily make at home and enjoy your day. Here on this website, you can find Healthy recipes, Chicken recipes, Non-veg recipes, Veg Recipes, Delicious snacks, and much more…..